Notable Bow Tie Wearers
Bow ties are worn by magicians, country doctors, lawyers and professors and by people hoping to look like the above. But perhaps most of all, wearing a bow tie is a way of broadcasting an aggressive lack of concern for what other people think… A list of bow-tie devotees reads like a Who’s Who of rugged individualists: Theodore Roosevelt, Charlie Chaplin, Winston Churchill and Fred Astaire wore bow ties, as did Senators Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York and Paul Simon of Illinois.
As you can see, in addition to the various vocations listed above, statesmen like former American President Warren G. Harding, former Hong Kong CEO Donald Tsang (Bow-Tie Tsang), Belgium Prime Minister Elio Di Rupo, and former Czech Foreign Minister Karel Schwarzenberg wear them, too. The list of professions also includes:
- Athletes like former American Football (Girdiron) player Dhani Jones
- Legal eagles like retired US Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens
- University presidents like Gordon Gee (most recently prexy of Ohio State) and R. Bowen Loftin (most recently of the University of Missouri (aka “Mizzou”))
- Scientists like Bill Nye the Science Guy as well as sex researchers Alfred Kinsey and William H. Masters
- Celebrity chefs like Alton Brown and Christopher Kimball
- Actors like Modern Family‘s Jesse Tyler Ferguson
- Religious leaders like Louis Farrakhan
- Influential businessmen like Jim Rogers
- Political pundits like Tucker Carlson and George Will
- Comedians like Paul Reubens who played “Pee Wee Herman”
One fun way to keep track of these gents is to use Pinterest, which enables its users to collect and curate images into various collections. The Aficionado uses it to create collections of bow tie-related images. Below you’ll see a part of the Pinterest board with pictures of many notable blokes who don bow ties. The great thing about the widget below is that as more images are added to it, this will update even if new people are added years after when this post was first published. So, check back for updates.